5th Day of Trial

21 August 2017


Thank you to those who came today for the half-day hearing. Please note that tomorrow's hearing (22 Aug) will also be a half day hearing beginning at 10 am.

NUS' (former) Vice-Provost Lily Kong was at the witness stand today and will continue to testify tomorrow. I believe that the 2nd NUS witness, Assoc Prof Ang Siau Gek will be called tomorrow. A/P Ang was NUS University Registrar and Head of the Registrar's Office from 2004 to 2016. 

Prof Lily Kong's Evidence

Prof Kong gave evidence on many issues. I will just show one document and let the document speak for itself. (I have reproduced the chain of emails and pasted the chain directly as text in this post.)

Background: Before NUS convened the COI hearing in July 2005 to look into my complaint against Dr Wong Yunn Chii, I asked Prof Kong for the issues that Prof Kong had commissioned the COI to look into, also known as the Terms of Reference. Prof Kong refused to provide the Terms of Reference to me.

In June 2005, I asked Prof Kong to clarify what she meant when she said there were contradictions in my complaint against Dr Wong. A series of exchanges followed. (See emails below.)

The chain of emails is reproduced here:


-----Original Message-----
From: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie

Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:01 PM
To: Lily Kong (Vice Provost)
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?

Dear Prof Kong,



Do you feel that my emails lack "respect or decorum"?  I am almost begging for a clarification about what you have said to me, can I not ask for a clarification?



I am the one who has a grievance.  I am trying to have my grievance heard by the University.  It is a complaint against a University faculty member.  Do I not even have the right to ensure that there is absolutely no room for misunderstanding and mis-interpretation on the University's part?  


Thank you very much for your attention.

I remain, as always, yours respecfully and sincerely,
Leu-Jiun


-----Original Message-----
From: Lily Kong (Vice Provost)
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:45 PM
To: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie
Cc: Lau Ai Lee; Ang Siau Gek (Head, REG)
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?
Dear Leu-Jiun

The panel will clarify with you what in fact you are unhappy about. 

Please treat this as my last email to you.

I trust you will leave some room for respect and decorum in your messages.
----------------------------------------------
Prof Lily Kong
Vice-Provost (Education)
National University of Singapore
http://profile.nus.edu.sg/fass/geokongl/
"This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you."


-----Original Message-----
From: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie
Sent: 05 July 2005 13:42
To: Lily Kong (Vice Provost)
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?
Dear Prof. Kong,

I hope you would clarify the "contradictions" that you have referred to.  Since it is you who charge me with being 'contradictory' in my emails, and not the "panel", I can only come to you for clarification on this matter. 

I still do not know what are the "contradictions".  So the "contradictions" must either be backed up or withdrawn.

I take my complaint seriously.  The complaint is about a faculty member of the University.  There cannot be room for any misunderstanding on the University's part before it goes ahead with its "investigation".

Please clarify what you mean by "contradictions".  Thank you.

Yours respectfully,
Leu-Jiun

P/S     I have asked Ms Lau Ai Lee some questions.  I have also informed her that I cannot attend the "interview" on 7th July, if I do not receive full answers from her to my questions.   
-----Original Message-----
From: Lily Kong (Vice Provost)
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:28 PM
To: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie
Cc: Lau Ai Lee; Ang Siau Gek (Head, REG)
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?
Leu-Jiun

I have delegated the task of looking into your issues to a panel.  You will have received my letter about the same.
----------------------------------------------
Prof Lily Kong
Vice-Provost (Education)
National University of Singapore
http://profile.nus.edu.sg/fass/geokongl/
"This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you."
-----Original Message-----
From: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie
Sent: 02 July 2005 15:38
To: Lily Kong (Vice Provost)
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?
Dear Prof. Kong,

I am still looking forward to your reply to the questions I asked you in my email to you dated 23rd June 2005.

The email is attached below for your reference.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,
Leu-Jiun
-----Original Message-----
From: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie
Sent: Thu 6/23/2005 6:39 PM
To: Lily Kong (Vice Provost)
Cc:
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?
Dear Prof. Kong,

Thank you for your message which you sent through your secretary to me on 20th June.

I would appreciate it if you would please help me with the following questions.

1)         In your message you said that “… there are contradictions between what you write below and what you indicated categorically in your earlier emails…” – What do you mean by that? 

2)         In your letter dated 7th June, you mentioned that an “independent panel” would be convened to “investigate the matter”.  Could you please tell me how is the panel “independent”?

3)         Would the “investigation” be transparent?

4)         Who are the members of the “independent panel”?

The reason why I have asked for a second meeting with you after our first brief meeting on 10th June is mainly to clarify such issues and questions. 

I am disappointed that you seem to be unwilling to meet with me.

Thank you for your attention to the matter so far.

Sincerely yours,
Leu-Jiun
-----Original Message-----
From: Amy Seah
Sent: Mon 6/20/2005 9:57 AM
To: Ten Leu-Jiun Jeanne - Marie
Cc: Ang Siau Gek (Head, REG); Lau Ai Lee
Subject: RE: Could I please meet with you?
Dear Leu-Jiun

Appended below is Prof Kong's message for your attention please:

==============================================================================================
All your email messages to date will constitute your complaints against your supervisor.  The Registrar's Office will be in touch with you should the panel need to speak to you.   As there are contradictions between what you write below and what you indicated categorically in your earlier emails, you may wish to clarify your position with the panel.  
============================================================================================== 

Kind regards,
Amy Seah
MSO to Vice-Provost (Education)

 













Popular posts from this blog

A 5-year Legal Battle with NUS

Lee Hsien Loong’s PAP Regime is “Rotting” According to the Reasoning of Heng Swee Keat

Lily Kong is the Perjurer; Wong Yunn Chii is the Plagiarist